Registration Round-Up at Early Childhood Learning Center will be conducted March 24-28.
A parent or legal guardian can fill out an application for their student anytime between 8:30 a.m. and 2 p.m. Monday through Friday, March 24-28, at ECLC, 390 Hillcrest Drive. In order to apply for either Head Start, pre-kindergarten or kindergarten classes, students must meet certain age and program requirements.
In order to apply for kindergarten, the child must be five years of age on or before Sept. 1. To apply for pre-k, the child must be four years old on or before Sept. 1. Head Start students must be either three or four years old on or before Sept. 1.
Registration packets and information must be complete in order to submit an application.
All applicants must reside within Sulphur Springs Independent School District in order to qualify for any of these classes. Proof of residency must be provided in the form of a utility bill or similar document with the family address on it.
All applicants must also provide the following documents for the child: official birth certificate, Social Security card, up-to-date immunization record, doctors’ notes concerning any allergies or health needs, and custodial documents or court orders, if applicable.
For pre-k and kindergarten, the registering parent or legal guardian will also need to show their photo ID and provide proof of household income. Check stubs — two for pre-k and 12 months’ worth for Head Start — or a 2013 income tax return or 2013 W-2 form are acceptable forms of income verification. For Head Start a letter from each employer on official letterhead with contact information regarding employment status may also be submitted if the other forms are not available.
For more information about kindergarten or pre-k, call Sonya Smith at 903-439-6170, ext. 6112. Beckey Woods can also help with pre-k, 903-439-6170, ext. 6113.
In order to be eligible for pre-k, the applicant student must meet at least one of the following:
- Be unable to speak and comprehend English;
- Be educationally disadvantaged (eligible for the National School Lunch Program);
- Be homeless as defined by 42 USC Section 1143a;
- Be the child of an active duty member of the U.S. Armed Forces, including state military force or reserve component of the armed forces, who is ordered to active duty by proper authority;
- Be the child of a member of the U.S. Armed Forces, including state military or reserves, who was injured or killed while serving on active duty;
- Is or ever has been in the conservatorship of the Department of Family and Protective Services following an adversary hearing held as provided by Family Code Section 262.201, including children in foster care through DFPS, adopted through DFPS conservatorship or returned to parents after being in foster care through DFPS.
For Head Start, parents/guardians should bring all required and applicable documents as packets will not be provided if documents aren’t obtained. Then schedule an appointment and complete all parts of the application at home, then bring the completed application back to the scheduled appointment.
Head Start applicants will also be required to provide proof of all of the following, if applicable:
- Texas Assistance for Need Families (TANF);
- Child support or alimony documents;
- Military Leave and Earning Statement (LES) and Family Subsistence Supplemental Allowance (FSSA);
- Current Medicaid, private insurance or CHIIP card;
- Food stamp card and case number;
- Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) card;
- Foster care information; and
- Individualized education plan (IEP) for the child applying.
Head Start provides these services to students who need/require them: certified teachers and assistants; two nutritional meals and a snack per day; full-day educational services; outdoor playground facilities; limited transportation services; social services; parent involvement activities; speech and hearing evaluations; health and dental screenings; and accepts children with mild, moderate or severe learning disabilities.
For more information about Head Start, call 903-439-6170.
|< Prev||Next >|