I hope everyone had an enjoyable Christmas with family and friends. The Sunday before Christmas, we had a get-together on my dad’s side of the family. It was nice to see a lot of the cousins that I don’t get to see every day; especially my cousin Clint Stucky who is on leave from the Army. I know many of you will know Clint’s grandmother, Claudia (McCutchen) Jones, and great-grandmother, Gay Nell Walls.
How quick the old year fades away and the new year begins! Each year time seems to slip by faster and faster. As I look back on the year of 2013, I can see so many changes in my life and in our community. Some of the most vivid memories from 2013 for me were:
- 30 year reunion of Miller Grove ISD basketball players who went to the regional semi-finals in 1983.
- 60th class reunion for the Miller Grove graduates of 1953.
- Installing Miller Grove school’s historical marker.
- Miller Grove senior Katelyn McCreight competing at the state golf meet.
- Seeing Miller Grove’s first track participant (Nathan George) win state.
- My resignation from employment at Miller Grove School to work at Farmers Electric Cooperative.
- The retirement of long-time MGISD employees Pattie Lennon, Richard and Sandi Watson, and Dwayne and Kathy Wren.
- Miller Grove Lady Hornets playing for the area volleyball title.
- Getting to help apply for a historical marker for County Line School.
My thoughts and prayers are with the McElvy and Ferguson families this week. Vallie (Ferguson) McElvy passed on Christmas Day. She was the daughter of Clyde Curtis Ferguson and Johnnie Lovell (Mayes) Ferguson. She was born Jan. 7, 1921, and married Newman Lawson McElvy on May 17, 1940, in the Greenview community of Hopkins County. Vallie worked at Miller Grove School for a time in the lunchroom and later worked running the “Switch Board” in Cumby as a telephone operator. Vallie was one of my favorite people to visit with over the last few years. I enjoyed talking about old times with her and always enjoyed her spunky and positive attitude. When we would talk, we would always find something to laugh about and maybe even spread a little gossip here and there. She is survived by two sons, Larry and Eddie McElvy, as well as several grandchildren and great-grandchildren. There will be a memorial service at a later date.
For those of you who know Wanda Parrish (former MG Elementary teacher), I would like to let you know that she is now a grandmother. Her grandson, Cace Parrish, was born Saturday, Dec. 28, at Hopkins County Memorial Hospital. He weighed 9 pounds, 13.7 ounces and was 21 inches long. I know grandma Wanda is just as proud as Cace’s parents, Chad and Leanne Parrish. Congratulations to all of the Parrishs on their new addition to the family!
Happy birthday this week to Leon Butler and Mitzi Baylus on Dec. 29; Angela “Sissy” Poteet, Edgar Velasquez, Coy Johnson and Chris McGowan on Dec. 30; Ben Whillock, Heath Darrow and Mark Phillips on Jan. 1; Brad McCool on Jan. 2; Patrick Dial on Jan. 3; and Ernest Cain on Jan. 4.
I hope everyone has a fun and safe New Year’s on Wednesday!
|< Prev||Next >|